Monday, September 28, 2009

Gramma Nina

For those of you who don't know her, this is Rob's grandma, Nina Olive Rogers Swykert. (she'd be so mad if she knew I put her middle name in there) She just turned 90 on September 21st. She was the 9th child in her family, born in the 9th month and named "nine-a", kind of neat. She came to live with us about 3 weeks ago...after a lot of moving her around in apartments, assisted living and one nursing home Rob finally convinced himself and me to take her home with us. It's going better than I thought it would. She can't be alone anymore, too forgetful. But she gets around like a 20 year old....rarely complains about her health. Mostly she's worried about being a burden on us. Rob's been taking care of her for over 10 years now, being her "maintenance man" and general go-to guy, especially after her husband Joe died in 2003. Jackson has really gotten attached to her. I guess she's not old to him because he tries to get her to play with him, he has been caught trying to jump on her....oops, sorry Gramma! And one day he was hitting her with a styrofoam sword, Rob told him to stop hitting Gramma, and you can't play swords with someone who doesn't have a sword. Rob left the room and came back a minute later, there was Gramma holding a stick in her lap and Jackson jabbing at her with his sword! (probably wondering why gramma wasn't hitting back!) She used to work in a preschool, back in the 50's or 60's and has a lot of funny stories to tell about the kids. When her memory was working she had good stories to tell about everyone...and lots of memories of growing up in the Copper Country. Rob says she and his grampa Joe were always people he could count on, he did a lot of fishing with his grampa and they were good to him when he was younger so this is time for him to pay back.
It's definetly not easy having someone come to live with us, but on the bright side, I don't yell at my kids as much; cause it's kind of hard to yell when you've got gramma lookin at you like you're crazy :) And I feel like I've got to slow down a little and sit with her once in awhile to drink tea or coffee. I think we're all getting used to her being around now and she's getting used to us. Even better, we like having her around.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Becky, that's great that you and Rob have taken her in to your home. How nice for her! ~Brita

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to grandma Nina...and to you (sorry I forgot:) ) Hope the birthdays all around have been good! Glad to hear that her moving in has gone well! ~Norah

Connie said...

Becky, you and Rob are definitely sweethearts for taking her in. Not everyone would do such a thing. I admire that.

Happy birthday yesterday! Hope you enjoyed it!

Megan said...

This is so special Becky! Very admirable. Your kids are very lucky to have the chance to get to know Gramma Nina on a whole other level now that she is living with you. :)

Anonymous said...

Becky - that picture of her with her cake is just precious I think you should get that one blown up for a wall she has such a cute expression :)