In honor of St Patrick's day we did an Irish themed dinner this month. Thanks to Kirsten who was the hostess and did a scrumptious corned beef! When I get the recipes from the other girls I'll post Kathy's delicious potato salad....and Janell's apple bacon salad....and Nora's quiche. And I can't forget about Karla's Irish cream pie....delish!! Jen made a drink with cucumber and honeydew, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it....can't wait for warm summer evenings to make that one! Connie was missed, but she has a good excuse....a new little guy in the house, congratulations!!
The soup:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 med onion, thinly sliced
3 leeks, white and pale green parts only, rinsed and thinly sliced
3 large potatoes, thinly sliced
2 cups of combination of kale, parsley and spinach, chopped
6 cups good quality vegetable stock/broth
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a heavy bottomed soup pot over low heat, melt butter and add onion and leeks. Cover and let "sweat" for 20 minutes.
2) Add potatoes, stirring to mix, then cover again and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes just until potatoes are tender.
3) Add greens and continue cooking 10 minutes or until well wilted.
4) Process soup in batches in food processor or with a hand-held immersion blender. Return to soup pot and heat through.
5) Top with chopped scallions, fresh chives or shredded sharp Irish cheddar cheese.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like quite the smorgasbord you gals put together...yum!
Cucumber and honeydew would make a fantastic drink! I'm making a mental note to try it this summer.
The soup looks good, but I am pretty sure it's missing an ingredient. Cream. Mmmmmmm .. ;)
The soup was delish. Thank you! Lib, you will never miss the cream when you try this soup!
Post a Comment